(to friendships that add the miraculous in the mundane)

 

"Quotidian Coffee"

An almost surely ordinary Saturday

    green-logoed brew the opposite of artisan.

Precious caffeinated hour

    plucked between grocery getting.

Familiar order on lock

Mine half-sweet, hers fully so

    (personalities likewise)

Everydayish friendship flavored by

    cumulative years and tears and 

    sharing what claims our fears.

Showing up and

    getting out

    of comfort zones.

I chase my toddler back

    into her chair.

Laying out Chex and crayons

    we rummage through thoughts.

Pride tucked away

    we unfold up close.

Sensational failures bared

    seeing only mercy staring back

    across our shaken espresso confessions.

"Am I a wise steward of this life I've been given?"

She gamely jumps track to another

    trail of my ponderings

    not once complaining

    about my weirdo brain, and I think

    that's maybe why

with her

even a Starbucks

feels sacred.  Anything but

Ordinary.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Always fun to see a familiar "voice" pop up in the comments:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts