Kids These Days Are So Entitled

 

Kids these days are so entitled.
 Get everything
    they think
    they need.
New clothes
New phones
New meals
    when 
    what is served doesn't suit.
Like shoes from last month--
    nothing less than the latest.

We blame, and shame, and 
    whisper
    their names around 
    quilt frames,
    we claim
    our seams run straight
    intentions pure.
    (I'm not so sure)

We think and deceive
    ourselves to believe
    these hands 
    are clean.
Not grasping truth:
    we also 
    seize fruit
    not meant for us to consume.

Dopamine dream by another name
    we selfishly sow
    our own tidy row.
Delight to the eyes
    intent to be wise.
Then cast stones 
    toward the crop
    a generation will reap,
    and we weep
    and we speak--

Choosing platform
    over alter
    pausing seldom
    to discover--
We don't change children
    by shouting from sidelines:
"Why are these kids so entitled?"

-------------------------------------

I'm unsure whether this poem is 
finished, or still a work in progress. 
Likely I'm breaking some unwritten 
rule by publishing when that is unclear.
Ah well, C'est la vie.  This process has 
been invaluable in teaching me it's ok
to write a lot of not-so-stellar things--
growth of a skill isn't glamorous.

A friend shared the opinion that she 
thinks this poem might belong in the
category of spoken word poetry. I suspect 
she is right. I found myself dramatically 
speaking lines aloud as I wrote.

I'd love to hear from those who play with
poetry.  Is your preference structure and
rhythm or do you wander into the weeds
of free verse?

Comments

  1. I'm not particularly poetic but I love your poem and the thoughts in it. It's thought provoking and perhaps doesn't need any finishing touches!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts